Tuesday 28 April 2009

We are the pirates who don't do anything, we just stay at home and lie around...

I have discovered spotify, and am listening to various thing such as HIM, AFI, Veggietales and Reliant K. Its pretty cool although I did get an advert warning me about unprotected sex which was a rather unexpected!

Friday went OK, I initially felt ok about it, then rubbish and now I feel OK again as I didn't receive and email today or Monday rejecting me straight off so I can't have been that bad. The day went rather smoothly really, I managed to get my train fine although I was sat listening to Dora the blooming Explorer for two hours! I met Haydn and I looked around Jesus college which was a really cool rabbitywarreny building. Very stereotypcially Oxbridge college. I also managed to find St Hilda's college which, from what I saw, was filled with feminists! Apparently they only started admitting men to the college last year so I appear to have perhaps picked the wrong college! Anyway I enventually found the plant sciences department and waited in the, very wooden, reception area. I was interviewed by Prof HG Dickinson, Dr SA Harris, Dr IR Moore and Dr AS Hay. They started off by asking about why I wanted to do a PhD and specifically at Oxford, unfortunatley I had to explain why I had applied so late which was a bummer but couldn't be helped. Then we spoke about the paper I was given to read, this was probably the worst bit, I spent a few question in silence just trying to figure out what to say before having to ask for it to be rephrased. It probably wasn't as disasterous as I thought but it was very uncomfortable at the time. Next we spoke about my Littorina project, again not a great topic of conversation for me! I think my grasp of the subject wasn't quite up to the standard they were probably looking for but I guess you never know. It didn't feel like 45 minutes but it definitely was by the time I left! I was briefly asked about my dissertation which I felt I answered very well and sounded enthusiastic about after being a tad resolute about my project. It was good to leave on a positive note. The train back was fine (no Dora!) and Karen came and met me in town where we went and had Thai tapas and cocktails at Bia Hoi which was really tasty! I now like thai food as well as Chinese, oh how cultural I am!

Today I got confirmation of my offer from Nottingham, I need a 2.2 at the end of this year. So that is going to be definitely acheivable as a back up. I am now a whole lot more positive about what's going to happen compared to a month ago and am now really looking forward to moving on in my academic career, I know its going to be difficult being apart from Karen but I genuinely think we'll be able to make it work because we really want to do it! I have absolute faith in our relationship. Karen asked me what I felt had changed in the past year, from a God conversation at church, I feel that our relationship has moved forward in leaps and bounds. We are even closer than before and are seriously considering our future together rather than just (cutely) joing about it. Things are so much better.

No comments: