Sunday 8 March 2009

I've got a funny feeling we're all born to lose...

Cheer up!

This week has been rather up and down to say the least but I feel a whole lot better now than Monday so I am going to focus on the positives and make sure that I take full advantages with any good opportunities that I am presented with!

I had a chat with Dr Graves on Thursday and he has convinced me to apply for PhDs as I am very determined to go into research; so I am looking at a few and the one which catches my eye most is at Oxford. Typical. I love doing things the hard way eh! I am also looking at master's courses and jobs to keep my options open and to avoid my dissertation which is scaring the crap out of me at the moment!

I am really sad that I will be leaving Sheffield actually, that's what's the most disappoint thing about the whole turn of events. I really felt like I belonged here with Karen and at this great church in such a wonderful community but apparently I am needed elsewhere. How perplexing.

Anyway, yesterday at the ungodly time of 6:30am I was awoken by Dashboard and eventually we got up ready for a fun packed day at Crufts! Now as a recently converted dog person I was excited but a little scared of what the day would bring, but two train journeys, four cobs and 530 photos later I was knackered but very happy at a good day!

We made it to the train station on time and spent the journey listening to some Leeds fans who were travelling down to Bristol (I think!) for the match. Between 8 and 9am they had had 3 cans of lager/ale each, a liquid breakfast indeed!

We arrived at the NEC after some great running between trains at New Street and missing the opportunity for an M&S smoothy! Once in the main hall it was my camera out and Karen 's giant grin out our cutest voices on for any puppy spotting! We came across two of the biggest dogs I have ever seen being walked around, I swear they were horses honest! There was ltos of information about the genetic testing dog breeders do/should do which was interesting from my nosey biological point of view. We wandered around and saw the cutest border terriers ever. We have now decided that this will be our first dog (which I am very secretly really looking forward to!) and moved on to more cuteness! We saw some Portuguese Podengos which Karen got to hug and very nearly ran off with one! After being overwhelmed with all the things you can buy for your pampered pooch (you can get hair dryers that look like ray guns!) we headed for the arena for the Eukanuba small team agility and international HTM where my memory card would take one hell of a battering in the few hours that we were sat there!

I really wish I had turned my noise reduction off earlier in the day as it really made a difference in the sharpness of my photos. The agility was impressive and the small dogs were hilarious. The HTM was great I really enjoyed it, very entertaining and obviously technically challenging. We spotted Anne and her crowd cheering for every single competitor (well almost ;). I was particularly impressed with the Czech girl who did a cowgirl routine which was fantastic, I think I got some good photos of it second time round. The Swedish girl was also very energetic to some Disney music and the dogs were obviously enjoying themselves.

Eventually we had to have a walk to prevent my legs from seizing up! We wandered around the trade stands and had a little nose at the YKC people including one adorable little girl that attaches herself to Karen at HTM shows (lolz). In the evening we watched the best in breed, I say we, I spent most of the time chimping at photos on my camera as I was a little tired at this point!

I agreed with Karen's choice on who should win and we got 3/4 right (I think!) so that was fun. Then we had a mad dash to the train station and a fairly uneventful trip home. I even read a couple of papers so felt good about myself for doing work when I really didn't have to!

I slept really well last night and enjoyed my first (and certainly not last!) visit to Crufts!

Today I haven't done much, just a bit of course work, some of my Oxford application and written up a lecture. I still have well over 700 photos to edit from the past few weeks which are really starting to pile up behind my work unfortunately. If only my computer was faster. =P

No comments: